Friday, January 22, 2010

The Circle Of Life

Despite the fact that we have been back into the 70s and 80s again, there will be no year around green in Florida this winter. After our record setting cold spell the first two weeks of this year, the landscaping has taken a hit. It is strange to see all the grass brown. Almost all of the plants in my yard were affected. Some of them will return, but others may not. Here is my pineapple that is on the back porch. I am pretty sure it will survive, but it is not the beautiful plant that it was. I kept meaning to take a picture of it because it was so big and pretty.....missed that window of opportunity. It is still big.....hopefully we will get a pineapple on it soon.


Certain palm species really are not made to handle cold weather, either. I am not sure why the nurseries around here sell all these plants that cannot take the cold. It doesn't happen here often, but it does happen.

It has been a relatively uneventful week, which is always good. The girls had Monday off from school for Martin Luther King Day. They got outside and enjoyed the warmer temps. While watering my plants Monday afternoon, I discovered a baby bunny in my flowerbed. There were a few bite marks on his head and tummy, but they did not look too bad. I found the "nest" lined with the mommy's hair, but there was no sign of mommy or any siblings. We brought the baby in and placed him on a heating pad. We went to the pet store and bought some formula and a bottle. That evening I fed him and he seemed to be doing okay, but a couple of hours later, he died :-( The girls were just heartbroken! It was all I could do to keep from crying when they started the waterworks. He was as cute as he could be! Allison named him Chance and we buried him in the back yard on Tuesday. That is the second animal we have "lost" in two weeks. Not good odds for our little rehabilitation program.
Because of their grief, the fact that I love bunnies and am a master at putting my foot in my mouth, Allison is now on a mission to raise $100 to buy a bunny and all the stuff that goes with it. Yes, I told her she could have a bunny if she raises all the money with their allowance. I guess it is better than my first impulse.....to run to the pet store and buy one while they were in school the next day. It is amazing how just a few little words slipping out unedited can change your life. Now I will be taking care of a bunny for the next five years or so. I do like them, but they are work. You may think that she will forget about it after a while. I am hoping that too, but not holding my breath, that child is determined!
The rest of the week has been the usual school stuff, but the evenings have been filled with the sweetest, most helpful little 11 year girl that you have ever met! Allison is everywhere offering to help do things! I wonder what I can come up with to bribe her after this!? She can be the most helpful little girl when she wants something!

No comments:

Post a Comment