Tuesday, July 20, 2010

National Down Syndrome Congress Convention 2010
Orlando, Florida
July 16, 17 and 18


I spent this past weekend driving back and forth to Orlando for the Down Syndrome Convention.  I just signed up for the preconference sessions and the Saturday and Sunday workshops.  I did not attend the banquets, dance and such.  There were so many knowledgeable people gathered in one space at one time that I was torn as to which workshops I would attend.  I wish I could have gone to more.  On Friday, I attended an all day session on speech that was taught by Dr. Libby Kumin.  Friday afternoon I attended a sharing session. They had if set up so that you could be in a room with moms that had kids your kids' age.  It was an opportunity to sit and chat with other moms that are going through some of the same things.  It was one of my favorite things at the conference.  Saturday I attended workshops on inclusion, speech, and teaching children with Ds to read.  My favorite workshop was the reading workshop.  I really bought into the speaker's idea of how to teach reading.....so much so that I bought the program.  I am excited to see how it works with Rachel.  I also picked up a few books and educational games at the exhibition.  

On Saturday, I was able to meet up with some fellow bloggers!  Aimee, from Aimee's Bowl Of Cherries;  Melanie, from The Baeten Family;  Kelli, from Living Life With Es; and I had lunch together.  Despite having to sit outside in the heat it was really neat to get to meet the other moms.  An added bonus was getting to meet Aimee's little girl, Piper.  She is simply adorable!!!  Believe it or not she is cuter in person than she is in pictures!!  I cannot believe none of us took any pictures.  I even had my camera with me just for that occasion and got so wrapped up in talking that I totally forgot about it.  Bummer.  Ladies I really enjoyed the get together.  Thank you, Kelli, for getting us together!     

There were some people at the Orlando conference that go to the conferences every year!  I am glad I went, but I am not sure that I would go again anytime soon.  Maybe as Rachel gets older.  There were lots of things for the older Ds population and their siblings to do that sounded like lots of fun.  It was really neat to be in a place where everyone knew where you were coming from.  I have never seen so many people with Down syndrome before.  It was wonderful to see the young adults being so independent.  It helps me keep in mind that anything is possible for Rachel.  I might have enjoyed seeing all the little ones even more.  There were soooo many little ones there and they were all just so cute!  The Down syndrome world was in Orlando this past weekend, and I am glad to have been able to be a part of it.   

2 comments:

  1. So glad I got to meet you Tracy! I can't wait till next year. When I back in town for a visit, maybe we'll get together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds great, what reading programme did you get? There is a workshop coming near us about eReadingPro (I think that's the name). Just wondered if it was the same one?

    ReplyDelete