Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Bribery Will Get You Nowhere!

Several years ago, I was told by a pediatrician that bribery will get you everywhere when it comes to potty training. He said you can work miracles if you can find the right bribe..........over the last couple of weeks, I have been trying to bribe Rachel to potty only in the toilet by singing songs to her if she is dry when we go to the bathroom. She loves singing songs, but apparently this is not enough incentive to keep her from wetting the pull up.

She is great about using the potty and will go every time I put her on it. She poops in the potty almost exclusively, but she still wets her diaper in between potty breaks. Yesterday, I decided to change the bribe and thought movies might be the perfect bribe. Rachel LOVES movies. We have had to cut her down to one movie a day, because she would watch them all day if allowed. I told her that if she wets in her pull up that she cannot watch a movie. An hour or so later, she was squatting in the kitchen floor. I asked her if she needed to go potty and she said an urgent "YES!" As she was walking to the bathroom, I noticed that her eyes were red. As we went into the bathroom, she started crying. I knelt down and asked her what was wrong and she just cried. I felt her pull up and it was wet. :-( She was so upset. I felt like the worst mommy ever!

I asked at school today to see if they needed any more diapers or pull ups. I never know if they change her there or if she stayed dry and is coming home in the same pull up she left in. They have a whole stash of diapers and said that she stays dry most of the time at school-little stinker! Today, when she came home from school, her pull up was dry, so she is currently watching a movie. I kept repeating what a big girl she is and that big girls get to watch movies. We will see how it goes. My only problem is trying to reward her and keep the number of movies viewed each day to a minimum. I may need to rethink this strategy too. If at first you don't succeed................

No comments:

Post a Comment